Thursday, August 1, 2013

'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)' Audiobook Review

Audiobook:  Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Ready by: Mindy Kaling
Genre: Comic Essays, Memoir

I don't normally do memoirs or these collection of comic essays but after reading Tina Fey's book, which I found laugh-out-loud funny, I took a chance.

With very little payoff.

On the good side, it's short. Only about 4 discs that I got through quickly. Mindy's essays are quick, many in list form, and you get a very vague and abstract sense of her life, her career and her obsession with having health benefits. And she's really riding off her new-found fame, name-checking her cool friends and showcasing her very single-girl-in-the-city conversational style. ("Be cool, okay?")

If you watch her show, The Mindy Project, you'll hear a lot of the same material that is in this book; she loves rom coms, wants to be happily married with kids, doesn't believe in one-night-stands. But because she's reading it herself, you get to hear her intention behind sentences (sarcasm!) and her famous pals come on to read a few lines, too.

Overall, not many laugh-out-loud moments, as I was hoping. I nodded a few times in agreement. And enjoyed her diatribe on the modern-day romantic comedy and where did that genre go. But, in the end, it made me think I was just a weekend of solitude away from producing my own book of humorous essays about my own life -- and thinking they would be just as funny, or maybe funnier. And thinking "this is easy," is a good indication that the book wasn't so great.

Grade: Yellow Light


No comments:

Post a Comment