Tuesday, August 20, 2013

'Chasing the Sun' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: Chasing the Sun by Tracie Peterson
Read by: Renee Raudman
Genre: Historical Romance

Something about the cover appealed to me. (Look at it, it's gorgeous!) And it sounded like a solid romance based on a Civil War-era Texan ranch, so I didn't think I could go wrong.

And I didn't. It was just the right, light romance I was looking for.

First, let's get this out of the way. I didn't realize until several chapters in this was Christian Lit. While I admire people of faith, I am not a textbook Christian. But I have almost no issues reading stories with religious undertones, to me it's a kind of fantasy. I mean, I read books all the time with different belief systems (ruling dragons, fairy queens, sun gods, etc.), so I can certainly deal with a main character who is motivated by her belief in a son of God delivering life ever after. As long as I am not being preached to follow the character's belief systems, or there is no tolerance for other beliefs, I can usually get through any kind of faith-based story.

And that's true here. The toe-curling romance, my interest in this era of "fine" manners and life on the range (cowboys! Indians! Longhorns!) certainly overshadowed any "God made me do it" explanations. It was just part of the weave of the story.

But the best part is the narrator, Renee Raudman, also read all of the Gallagher Girls books. And although her Spanish accent is horrendous, it was great to hear her voice again.

Overall, Hannah and William's Texan love story is pretty satisfying. Though, another warning, this is a series so the ending is a little too quick and open-ended.

Grade: Green Light

No comments:

Post a Comment